Our 40 Days of Lent begins this week with Ash Wednesday on February 17! Here are a few things happening this Lent to help you grow in your faith…
1) Lenten Reflection. On Thursday, March 4, at 7:00pm, I will be offering a Lent reflection to help you during the Lenten season. The Knights of Columbus will provide some refreshments following the talk, but the evening is open to the entire parish and will be happening in the church.
2) Ash Wednesday Masses. On Wednesday, February 17, we will have Masses at 6:30am; 8:15am (attending this Mass will be the SMS Junior High—6th, 7th,8th grades only—the rest of the school will be live streaming); and 6:30pm. If you are uncomfortable being touched for the distribution of ashes, we will have an option for sprinkling the ashes on the top of your head as well. Please follow the instructions given at Mass.
3) Nocturnal Adoration & Confessions. On Wednesdays (starting February 24), we will offer 12 hours of adoration in the church (like in Advent) from 7:00pm on Wednesday until 7:00am on Thursday. Please consider signing up as a guardian of an hour or show up whenever you like. Confessions will be from 7:00pm until 8:00pm or the finish of the line. In the next few weeks, we will post other opportunities for Lenten Confessions at other parishes as there will not be communal penance services in the deanery.
4) Lenten Stations of the Cross. On Fridays (except March 19—Solemnity of St. Joseph—and April 2—Good Friday), we will have the Stations of the Cross in the church beginning at 7:15pm.
5) Parish Consecration to the Holy Family. On Friday, March 19, at 7:15pm, we will have a special ceremony consecrating our parish family to the Holy Family. This is the year of St. Joseph, and after Easter, we will have a parish study group and consecration to St. Joseph. This Lent, we would like to give ourselves to the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary, and St. Joseph. Weather permitting, we will have an outdoor Eucharistic Procession around the church itself.
This covers the events special Lenten opportunities up to Holy Week. Hopefully you received our parish postcard noting all these events as well. Also, be sure to pick up a Lenten Daily Reflection booklet! And have a great start to this season on prayer, penance, and spiritual growth. When we get closer to Holy Week, I will write more about what will be happening then.